June 16, 2015

Summertime Smiles



Things are starting to heat up which means summertime and the heat that comes along with it is here. I used to have very difficult summers. The transition from living on a the schedule that comes with school to an overwhelming amount of free time used to lead to bouts of depression sometimes because I often had a lot more time t be alone with my thoughts. Being alone with your thoughts for too long leads to over-thinking things and reliving old moments which is never really the best thing to do. Sometimes I also miss sleeping in my own room and bed so although I love vacation, I miss the comfort of the safe space that is my bed.

The last two summers have been pretty good. I stayed where the air conditioning was if there was any, I surrounded myself with good people, I kept busy, and I treated myself well. Each year I learn more about myself and how to love myself better so that I can feel better and be better. I have a lot of things to keep me busy this summer. I have class and I've been working on just generally keeping myself more organized and on task so I'm looking forward to this summer.


It's very important to stay healthy in the summer so here are some helpful summer reminders:
  • Drink your water! Drink lots of water. Stay hydrated please
  • Don't feel bad about dropping toxic people. It's too damn hot for toxic or unhealthy relationships. Why should you stay around a rain cloud when you are destined for the sun? You are destined for the sun!!
  • Keep busy as to not over-think but relax when need be. It's hot so need be comes often
  • Eat seasonal produce. Summer produce is some of the most delicious all year. Cherries, apricots, peaches, watermelon, okra, mangoes, eggplant, plums, nectarines, and so much more!!
  • Do the things that make you happy. Do them often, if you can. 
  • If you have the time to do so, read! There is something really special about reading in the summer. I can say that about every season but summer reading brings me right back to my childhood summers and that's pretty cool.
  • Most importantly, stay cool, protect yourself from the sun, and stay hydrated.


Happy (almost) Summer!

No comments: