June 26, 2015

May They Stay Rising

This week I had a lot of reasons to smile and be happy. This week started off with a bang. My little brother graduated from the 5th grade! It's so cool to see him grow up. It really shows you how fast life goes by. This is the little baby who bumped me up from an only child to a big sister and now he's on his way to middle school! He looked so handsome in his little suit and I just loved seeing him so excited and proud of himself. I loved that so much!! It was a very exciting day and I can't wait to share more graduation days together! I love him so much!!!


This week I also got to attend the graduation ceremony of my former students! I met the majority of these kids on February 6, 2014. So while I haven't known them their whole lives, they hold a special place in my heart. I worked with them during after school and during summer camp. I began working with them in 4th grade and I was able to move up with them which is a reason I think I was able to create such a special bond with them. It was also exciting that they were the same age as my brother so it was really cool being able to get a glimpse firsthand to what my brother may be experiencing in school because it's so different from when I was in 4th and 5th grade.

For a year and some change, I was able to see them grow. Unfortunately, I had to leave them to focus on finishing my master's degree and I missed them immensely but they are part of the reason that I am pushing myself to finish school strong. I started working there hoping to encourage and empower these beautiful students and they've taught me so much. They encourage me to be better and do better. They are reality and they are the future. I'll be honest, some days were really hard but I wouldn't trade the chaos, hours of long division, research projects, and all the noise for anything! I value the time I spent with them. 

Their successes and the success of all classes of 2015 would be impossible without the incredible support systems that these students have. A special shout out to all the people who support these students especially to my former coworker, Jay, who I am so glad I got to share my time with. We really worked hard to make sure our kids felt loved and empowered. We did our best. Their support system is so vital, their teachers, their school staff, afterschool teachers, their families, and especially their parents. I got to meet so many loving and wonderful parents! So many people got these kids to where they are today and that's so special and important. A part of the reason I consider my students an inspiration for me to do so well in school is that they are proof of what a good support system can do and one day I want to be a licensed professional so I can be better equipped for larger support systems that allow people to thrive in life. 

I'm just so happy that I got the chance to be a part of this milestone in their life and may their life paths be filled of so many more happy moments and accomplishments!






---

Quote of the week:

"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou 




May they stay rising!!

No comments: