August 3, 2014

On The Come Up by Hannah Weyer


"It came to her just before sleep, an idea crystallizing in the dark--how maybe the size of your world ain't what matter, whether it expand or shrink up or expand again. Hurdles to jump. You jump. Erase the lines, draw new ones. Chart a course and follow." (p290)

I recently finished reading On The Come Up by Hannah Weyer. I found out about this book when going through the Our Song tag on tumblr. This book is based on the life of Anna Simpson, one of the girls who stars in the film. Because I loved the movie, I had to make sure I found this book and I am so glad I did. This was a real page turner. I couldn't get enough of it. I really appreciated how honest and real this story came across. I also think that this is the first story I've read in a long time that really takes place in NYC and I especially loved that because I'm living in NYC again. I think that made it feel more real to me. I also loved any part of the book that was set while they were filming the movie. It felt like I was going behind the scenes of one of my favorite movies!

I loved reading this book early every morning during my commute to work. It was so easy to get lost in this book. I'm so glad I found it!

I recommend this for readers who:
  • like to read biograhpies
  • enjoy oral histories
  • like stories that take place in urban settings
  • want to read a story that takes place in NYC/Far Rockaway
  • want to read a story about aspiring actresses/singers
  • enjoy "coming of age" stories
  • are interested in reading about teenage pregnancy/parenthood
  • liked the movie "Our Song"
  • are interested in reading LGBT stories
  • love books you van get lost in
Because it is one of my favorite movies, here's the trailer for Our Song.



No comments: