August 7, 2014

Celebrating Me: August 6th/7th

August Selfie = Birthday Selfie!!


I'm 22 years old! I really tried to post on my birthday but I got in after midnight and went straight to bed. So my selfie post is a day late but who says celebrations have to end?

I did the very stereotypical playing of Taylor Swift's 22 as I got ready for work. I actually only heard it once before on the day before my birthday because I wanted to see if I liked it before I made it the first song I listened to on my birthday. It is a very cute song and I'm glad one of my best friends, Mia, reminded me about it.

I started the self care presents by treating myself to a delicious bodega breakfast sandwich with a cup of coffee. Then I went to work and I made sure that I had on the beautiful skirt that I got for my birthday. I wore it all day even though I had time to change before going out after work but I wanted to feel special and it's my special day to celebrate me so I really tried not to feel guilty about anything."Treat yo self."

I got so many wonderful birthday wishes. Some of the students even sang happy birthday to me. It was great and so cute!! After work, I went out with my momma and two of my aunts to dinner and a movie all of which was wonderful as well. I think I fell asleep in the car on the way home. I was so tired. This was my birthday outfit.


Overall, I had a phenomenal birthday. I was a little apprehensive at first about working on my birthday but I'm glad I went to work. All the beautiful faces I got to see at work and the well wishes made my day so much more special. 22 feels different. I can't really explain it. I looked in the mirror after I woke up and I felt that I looked different--older. However, I'm not sure if I trust what my mind is really thinking at 5 in the morning. 

Most importantly, on my birthday I was in love with the skin I'm in. 
I'm happy to be here and to be alive.
21 brought me graduation, my Bachelor's degree and a move to New York.
I'm thankful for another year of life. I'm excited to see what 22 will bring!



---

Post birthday(today):

Today was an okay day. I was so tired from the night before and I think my lack of sleep gave me a headache that is only just now going away. Besides the headache and some overwhelming moments at work today, I had a good day. I'm happy that tomorrow is finally Friday. The weekend is near!

I've been  reading Pearl Cleage's latest book and I really can't put it down. I love it so far. There was something she wrote about writing and how creativity and laziness really battle it out all of the time. I strongly identified with that entire page. I'll write more about the book when I finish it. Every page is another piece of her life and that's just so cool to me!

---

Leaving you with a special quote. I hope you have an amazing and safe weekend!!



No comments: