July 13, 2014

The Other Side of Paradise


I recently finished reading "The Other Side of Paradise" by Staceyann Chin. I really enjoyed it. There were parts that made me laugh. There were parts that made me cry and gave me goosebumps. It had all the things I loved. The Other Side of Paradise, a memoir, was honest and left me wanting more. I've always been a big fan of Staceyann Chin. She has a wonderful way with words. You can always feel her passion and energy in her words. This book is no different.

♥ 

Quotes I loved:

"It tickles me to think that from my very first breath, everyone expected me to stop breathing. Against the odds, I surprised everybody. And I must admit that in some of the moments of my life so far, no one has been more taken aback by my own breath than me." (p.13)


"What you don't know is older than you! Sometimes your eyes fail you--sometimes what you see is not what is there." (p.44)


"...a man who only want to bring you down on you back is a man who will want to bring you down in life." (p.51)


"Read everything. The more knowledge you have, the less a man can use you for poppy-show" (p.51)


"Suddenly it dawns on me that, though leaving is hard, this is something I want to do. The choice to go is my decision. For the first time in my life my leaving is something I want to be happening to me. (p.271)


"I go from place to place spouting the gospel of courage and survival. I encourage victims to take hold of destiny and chart it for themselves." (p.274)





I recommend this book for people who:
  • enjoy reading memoirs
  • enjoy diversity in books
  • want to read about queer people of color/women of color
  • love Staceyann Chin
  • want to read a story that takes place in Jamaica
  • love real and honest readings
  • want to read about real people and real imperfect families
  • enjoy poetry and spoken word
  • enjoy reading stories written by black women

1 comment:

brio58 said...

Wow! I love memoirs, I definitely think I'll enjoy this. So far only memoirs have been the books that I voraciously take in. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll pick it up the next time I am at a bookstore.
-shelley.