May 29, 2014

Dear Dr. Maya Angelou

Rest in Peace Maya Angelou.

Maya Angelou was a precious gift to us all. She was truly a phenomenal woman and an inspiration to all. I find comfort in knowing that her words will live on forever. Her voice, like her words, were magical. I delighted in listening to her speak, watching her interviews and speeches, listening to her recitals, and using that as motivation to work harder and to do better.

In 11th grade I kept her words and her pictures on my English binder to remind myself that I was beautiful, unique, and phenomenal. Her words reminded me that even though I felt sad and lonely,  I was definitely worth something and I deserved to feel good about myself. In those moments during my freshman year of college when I felt defeated and alone, her words on my room wall were a daily reminder that I was going to make it through this and that I had the power in my to stand strong and rise against what I thought were my biggest challenges. When I graduated, her words decorated my cap and my graduation announcements. He words have helped me as I learned to accept and love myself. Her words allowed me to be okay with celebrating me and I know that her words and her legacy will continue to nourish my soul for the rest of my life.





 Dear Dr. Maya Angelou,

I'm so thankful for your words. Thank you for inspiring me and being a constant source of motivation in my life. Your precious words have helped me get to where I am today. You have helped me learn to love and appreciate myself. I'm glad that your words will live forever. I will continue to live by your words. To rise against my fears and stand strong. Thank you for sharing your spirit, your stories, your smile, your knowledge, and your words.  May you always be celebrated and may you rest in peace.


No comments: