December 31, 2016

The Sisters are Alright



I started my year of reading The Sisters Are Alright by Tamara Winfrey Harris and I’m so glad that I did! Reading The Sisters Are Alright so wonderfully reminded me of the black girl magic within me. It truly is a wonderful read. It’s fun and east to read and it covers so many different important aspects of black womanhood. What’s wrong with black women? Not a damned thing! It’s so empowering to feel the love for black women flow through the pages. Black womanhood is complex and special. It would be impossible to fit all of that magic into one book but this is a great place to start.

            “I love black women, and I want the world to love black women too.”


 On of my favorite components of the book are the "moments in alright" that highlight some of the amazing work that black women are doing in this world. Here's a really important one that actually helped me find a great resource for a paper and a group therapy that I designed. This moment also further affirms me on a path of becoming a black therapist.

 Moments in Alright:
"Believing that sexuality educators, therapists, counselors, and doctors must have more representation by women of color, the Women of Color Sexual Health Network is devoted to empowering and including more women of color, including black women, in he field of sexuality, sexology, and sexual health."


This book wonderfully covers so many important topics including the stereotypes we face as black women, the strong woman narrative, motherhood, respect, relationships, health, and so much more. It leaves you with a desire to continue to learn more about black women. This book was the beginning of a year of reading amazing works by and about black women. I made a short list of nonfiction and fiction works that would be great to read after reading this wonderful book that gives you so much to think about.

Further and Recommended Reading:
  • Sister Citizen by Melissa Harris-Perry
  • For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf
  • Fast Tailed Girls
  • Beloved by Toni Morrison
  • Jessica Valenti – Full Frontal Feminism
  • Ain’t I a Mommy
  • Mammy, Jezebel, Sapphire, and their Homegirls
  • Soft Magic by Upile Chisala
  • Salt by Nayyirah Waheed
-->
  • Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in School by Monique M. Morris.
  • We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • Assata: An Autobiography
  • The Color Purple by Alice Walker
  •   Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay



  •  ---
    A Few More Quotes I Loved:

    "Why am I going to fight what I am? I am made to be a beautiful woman on my own terms, why not just embrace that and be that? Am I going to hate myself forever...or am I going to be free?"

    "I do have a right to be treated with respect--to demand respect. I wasn't wrong for doing that. We are never wrong for doing that."

     "What's wrong with black women?
    Simple answer: Not a damned thing."


    Happy Reading!!

    No comments: