March 18, 2011

Our Inspiration #1

We are celebrating the women who inspire us. I've been asking as many people as possible so that I can have wonderful icons of inspiration to share with the web.
I'm posting everyone's answers with pictures of who inspire them and why these people are so special! It won't all be in one post.. you can also add to if you would like to! :)

I find inspiration in a lot of places. The women in my life who have inspired me are my grandmother, my mother and my Auntie Jackie. They all share an absolutely gorgeous smile and big beautiful eyes that I've been blessed with and they are fighters! I'd like to think that I learned from the best.

My Famous Icons of Inspiration include Maya Angelou, Meryl Streep, Zora Neale Hurston, and Lorraine Hansberry among others.





Maya Angelou:
The Phenomenal Woman. Truly beautiful and amazing. I used to keep a copy of her famous poem "Phenomenal Woman" in one of my high school binders. I Love her. She has taught me how to appreciate all kinds of beauty. She helps me see that times may be hard but we can overcome hard times and difficult backgrounds and still, we rise.

High school was a very hard time for me and I kept her poem Phenomenal Woman on my binder. I took that poem with my every where. I can honestly say that reading it daily is one of the reasons I didn't completely lose it in that environment. She teaches me the importance of constantly loving yourself and thriving. Her Poem Still I Rise is so important to my life now and I think it always will be. For me, that poem reminds me that not only am I great but that I come from greatness and greatness is all around me and together with all that power of strong and empowered women, we can do anything.


No comments: