April 26, 2009

love our future, don't hurt it!

April is Child Abuse prevention month. I really did not know that until this past week. I'm following Demi Lovato on twitter and she posted a story about a young boy who committed suicide because he was tired of being bullied at school.
The full story can be viewed here: http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/23/bullying.suicide/index.html. It's unfortunate that a child can be hurt so much from his peers at school that he thought that the best way out was to kill himself. I can personally remembered being bullied as far back as kindergarten, I'm a junior in high school now and I still occasionally see bullying around school among teenagers and even in the younger children I sometimes work with. It really hurts to get bullied, It's one of the worst things you can experience. I'm so glad the Demi Lovato is taking a stand agaisnt bullying and child abuse because with her fame, she can raise awareness of child abuse and bullying everywhere so that there aren't anymore tragic stories about young people commiting suicide due to the pain caused from bullying.
At http://www.loveourchildrenusa.org/StompOutBullying/ they have really cute wristbands and other products and information on bullying. I hope to get my wristband in the mail soon!

Here are some thoughts on Child Abuse and Bullying from some awesome teens!


  • I really think that bullying has to deal with repressed self-esteem issues and flaw of character. It's very wrong because not only is that person expressing their anger in a violent matter but it causes pyschological and physical harm to whoever is suffering from it. -G.B. female, age 16

  • I believe it's a trickle down process. Bullies are most likely being victimized at home, and then decide to retaliate on another person. Since they feel helpless at home, the feel as if they can take on a harder persona elsewhere and bully others. -C.E. female, 16

  • I think that it's bad and it's just people taking out their anger or actiing out of boredom. I also think that sometimes people bully others because they had it done to them. -S.M. female, age 16

Demi Lovato's PSA. She's amazing!!!

No comments: